why use it?
Hemp — the oldest textile on the planet dating back 10,000 years
Christopher Columbus sailed to America with hemp sails as did Captain Cook to Australia. At this time in our history, most people in developed countries agree that there is a need to utilise alternatives that are both renewable and sustainable. Hemp fabric offers all the credentials required for the 21st century. Over 35,000 products can be produced from hemp, ranging from building materials, cars, plastics, food, fuel, paper and textiles.
- Environmentally sustainable – Hemp has moderate water requirements and requires little or no herbicides, pesticides or fungicides.
- Breathable – Hemp fabric breathes very well in addition to being a natural insulator due of its hollow core fibre, a characteristic Hemp shares with wool without the scratch.
- Recyclable – Hemp fabric can be used for papermaking or can be allowed to degrade naturally, as it leaves no toxic residue.
- Protective against UV rays – Hemp fabric provides the highest UV protection of any natural fabric.
- Anti-bacterial and allergy friendly – As hemp is grown and processed without the use of toxic chemicals, there are no irritants for asthma or allergy sufferers.Fabrics are washed at 40°C and softened with fruit enzymes. In closed spaces such as office buildings, hemp textiles are the ideal choice for good air quality.
- Durable – Products made from Hemp fabric last longer and wear better than those made from cotton or synthetics, offering consumers value for money since they will not need to replace products as often.
- Hemp and hemp blends
- Natural 100% hemp fibre is long and has a natural lustre. This hemp can be blended with silk, certified organic cotton, yak hair and wool to create a variety of weights and textures to suit different applications.
Colours, weights and textures
Hemp textiles are stocked in Sydney in a variety of colours, weights and textures. We can arrange to custom-dye fabrics to clients’ Pantone colour choice – minimum quantities apply.
Eco water-based treatments available include:
- Flame retardant
- UV & SPF
- Stain release
- Fade resistance
- Water repellent.